Thursday, March 11, 2010

Music from "Ikiru"



If you have never seen Akira Kurosawa's 'Ikiru,' this may not be the most exciting post. But for you fortunate ones who have (and as a result probably love it as well) you are in for a treat. I don't want to spoil anything here for those who haven't (go see it now!).
After seeing it for the first time I immediately searched the internet high and low for Takashi Shimura's two versions of "Gondola No Uta" (life is brief), but I guess this movie was before the time of soundtrack albums. So I just decided to plug my four track into the TV and make my own.
In my searches I found a version of the song from 1961 by Sagawa Mitsuo (included here). Being used to Shimura's delivery I found this version lacking in the raw humanity Shimura's was drenched in. Upon further listens i grew to like it a whole lot, especially how they rip off the riff from "Sleepwalk."
Did I keep that vague enough?

1) Gondola No Uta (playground)
2) Gondola No Uta (bar)
3) Gondola No Uta- Sagawa Mitsuo

http://www.mediafire.com/?gqtwmi2zyng

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I just saw the film and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear it. didn't think this would be the most popular post, but hopefully those who seek it will enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I've been searching high and low for this (well, actually about 5 minutes) Big props, one of my favorite films!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this. So moving. Thank you for immortalizing it here.

    ReplyDelete