Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guckenheimer Sour Kraut Band- Oom Pah-Pah in Hi-Fi



It would be very hard to go wrong with a non-musicians' Oom-Pah band, in my opinion at least. If you think you might agree then this record would have to be a must for you (along with their most "well known" album, "Music For Non-Thinkers," also found on this blog).
Most Oom-Pah records I've heard have been way to clean, well-mannered, and professional to the point of rendering the music sterile, which unsurprisingly is no fun at all. This is supposed to be music to get drunk to and let loose to, I thought. Well, the Guckenheimer Sour Kraut band is drunk, dirty, off key, off time and proudly un-professional though oddly cohesive [well, more than Portsmouth Sinfonia or King Uszniewicz (two posts each on this blog), anyway], which seems to capture the feel of what I want from Oom-Pah much better.
Why make music this way? Because it's a hell of a lot more fun! The band sounds more like the time I'm having when I listen to them, plus it always puts my grumpy, misanthropic self in a good mood.
The record is pretty quiet, which means I had the turn the levels way up which unfortunately makes the pops that much louder. Imperfect recording for imperfect music for imperfect people.
If you don't get it at first, you need more beer.
Prosit!


http://www.mediafire.com/?uzd8mdglw8age39

Liner notes:

1 comment:

  1. FUCK YA! i can't believe i finally found these...i accidentally sold my copy of music for non thinkers and haven't been able to find this crap anywhere...thanks a ton...as good as any outside music i've ever enjoyed

    ReplyDelete